Our chicken cacciatore recipe is loaded with fresh vegetables. This “hunter style” dish is a classic in Italian cooking and after one bite, you’ll understand why.
Total Time: 31 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 21 min.
Yield: 4 servings
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium celery stalk, sliced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 (14.5 oz.) can whole tomatoes
1½ tsp. dried basil, crushed
Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
2 medium zucchini, sliced
1 medium eggplant, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
6 fresh parsley sprigs, finely chopped (for garnish, optional)
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
2. Add chicken; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned.
3. Add onion, celery, garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion begins to soften.
4. Add tomatoes, basil, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Add zucchini and eggplant; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle, and juices run clear.
6. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Tip: Chicken Cacciatore can be served over brown rice or whole wheat pasta.