This delicious Irish stew is very easy to prepare, but it will make you look like a culinary wizard. The result is a rich, savory dish that is satisfying and delicious. Parsnips, leeks and cabbage give it a surprising amount of fiber, and it’s has 23 grams of protein per serving.
Total Time: 1 hr. 10 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 55 min.
Yield: 4 servings
2 tsp. olive oil
12 oz. raw leg of lamb, boneless, fat removed, cut into ¾-inch cubes
2 cups low-sodium organic beef (or vegetable) broth
1 medium onion, diced
3 medium carrots, peeled chopped
2 medium leeks, sliced
2 medium parsnips, sliced
6 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. sea salt
12 oz. Yukon gold (or Peruvian blue) potatoes, cut into ¾-inch cubes
2 cups coarsely cut cabbage
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add lamb; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned.
3. Add onion, carrot, leeks, and parsnips; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
4. Add water, bay leaf, thyme, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; gently boil, covered, for 30 minutes.
5. Add potatoes and cabbage; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lamb and potatoes are tender.
6. Remove bay leaf; add parsley.