Our nutrition team gave this traditional Irish dish a healthy makeover that doesn’t sacrifice flavour!
Total Time: 28 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 18 min.
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 cup each
¾ cup low-fat milk, warm
3 green onions, chopped
2 lbs. medium russet potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes
½ tsp. sea salt, divided use
1 lb. fresh kale, large ribs removed, torn into large pieces
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
1. Heat milk and green onions in small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat. Set aside.
2. Place potatoes in medium saucepan. Cover with water. Add ¼ tsp. salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 15 to 25 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat.
3. While potatoes are cooking, boil water in steamer or large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place kale in steamer basket; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender-crisp and bright green. Place in ice water bath to stop cooking process.
4. Drain water from potatoes. Return potatoes to heat. Gradually add milk mixture, mashing potatoes as milk is added; cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Drain water from kale; squeeze out excess water. Finely chop kale with a knife or in a food processor.
6. Add kale and oil to potatoes; mix until fluffy.
7. Season with remaining ½ tsp. salt and pepper (if desired).
8. Serve warm.