When I think of the ultimate breakfast treat, pancakes almost always come to mind. There’s nothing like a freshly made stack of fluffy pancakes to start your day off right. And, best of all, they’re always a crowd pleaser. Everyone loves pancakes — both kids and adults alike!
Reminiscent of apple pie, this recipe allows you to enjoy the comforting spices — such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg — we love from grandma’s apple pie without the sugary extra calories you get from traditional pie fillings and the saturated fat you get from the butter or shortening used to make pie crusts flaky. Plus, the pancakes act like a sponge that soaks up all of that warm apple and spice goodness you dollop on top.
These Apple Cinnamon Protein Pancakes are a healthier twist on the breakfast favorite. Standard pancakes are often made from refined white flour, which can leave you feeling hungry again a couple of hours after your meal. In contrast, these Apple Cinnamon Protein Pancakes contain a good source of protein to keep you fueled until lunch.
Because these pancakes are topped with warm, cinnamon-spiced apple slices, you won’t feel the need to drown your pancakes in syrup. Its small tweaks like these that can allow you to enjoy pancakes more often than just once in a blue moon.
This recipe is gluten free, but you don’t need to buy expensive gluten-free flour blends. Instead, all you’ll need are oats and a bit of coconut flour. If you haven’t used coconut flour before, it’s a great one to have on hand for gluten-free baking. Coconut flour is made from dried coconut meal, and is high in fiber. You can usually find it either in the bulk section of your local grocery store or alongside other alternative flours in the health foods aisle.
Apple Cinnamon Protein Pancakes
Total Time: 29 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 19 min.
Yield: 3 servings, 2 pancakes each
Nonstick cooking spray
1 medium apple, peeled, sliced
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon, divided use
4 large egg whites (½ cup)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 scoop whey protein powder, vanilla flavor
¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 Tbsp. coconut flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. ground ginger
1 dash ground nutmeg
1. Heat medium nonstick skillet lightly coated with spray over medium-low heat.
2. Add apple and ¼ tsp. cinnamon; cook, stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes, or until apple is soft. Remove from heat. Set aside.
3. Combine egg whites, applesauce, and almond milk in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Combine protein powder, oats, coconut flour, baking powder, remaining ½ tsp. cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a medium bowl; mix well.
5. Add applesauce mixture to oat mixture; mix until just blended.
6. Heat large nonstick skillet lightly coated with spray over medium heat. Ladle about ¼ cup batter for each pancake; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until bubbles form on top. Flip. Cook for 90 seconds, or until golden brown and cooked through.
7. Divide pancakes between three serving plates. Top evenly with cooked apple slices.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 12 mg
Sodium: 194 mg
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugars: 10 g
Protein: 13 g
Body Beast Portions
Portion Fix Containers